Not only are wipes expensive, they also are made with lots of chemicals that will dry out and sting a tender bottom with the slightest rash or redness. These wipes clean with melaleuca (Tea Tree essential oil), calm with Lavender essential oil and moisturize with organic virgin coconut oil. The coconut oil and melaleuca are natural antiseptics which help to keep bacteria and mold from growing in the wipes. These wipes cost about half as much as the cheapest wipes you can find and are much better for baby!
- 2 cups hot distilled or tap water (heat in microwave for 2 minutes)
- 1 TBSP Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (I use Nutiva)
- 3 drops* Melaleuca/Tea Tree Essential Oil*
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/2 of a roll of Bounty Select-A-Size Paper Towels (Do not use a cheaper kind, they will rip)
- 1 Serrated Bread Knife
- 1 Plastic container with lid that holds 7 cups or 1.6L
- *Leave out Melaleuca if baby has a bad rash as it will sting a bit
I usually make two containers at a time and freeze one of them until a day before I need it. These are perishable and will stay fresh about a week which is perfect because we usually go through one container a week (two kids in diapers!). To make two containers, you will need double the ingredients.
- First, measure out two cups of water. I use soft tap water and heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then I pour the hot water into my container.
- Add a mounded tablespoon of coconut oil (it will be solid) and stir until it melts in the water.
- Add 3 drops of melaleuca and 3 drops of lavender, stir
- Cut Paper Towel roll in half to get two smaller rolls of paper towels
- Take jagged edge of roll and push it into the container bottom.
- Push roll down so that the top isn’t protruding out of the container. Place lid on container firmly.
- Turn upside down so that the liquid can soak through the roll.
- Wait 5 minutes for roll to be saturated then flip to right-side up, remove lid, pull out the paper towel core (should twirl right out). Find the end of the paper towel in the center and pull up.
You’re now ready to use your new wipes!
If you make another container, store it in the freezer until you are ready.
These are great for cleaning up sticky little hands and faces as well! I have used these on my kids from the day they were born with no issues. Test on a small area to ensure your children are not sensitive to the ingredients.
If your child has a rash, try our Loved Up Whipped Baby Butter. It’s made from organic soothing ingredients to seal out wetness and also protect against future rashes. I use this on my two kiddos after bath time, on any dry skin areas including cradle cap scalp and as needed on their bottoms. It’s been awesome for dry, itchy winter skin! It’s made from Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter and Organic EVOO and whipped to perfection.